2.4.20-ac1 not seeing IDE disk on PIIX host adapter
Marc Haber
2003-02-22 08:51:02 UTC
Hi,

I have here a recent Acer notebook which I plan to use with Linux. The
system I installed uses Kernel 2.4.20-ac1 which is the kernel we use
on most other production systems at our site. The notebook has an 810
chipset; the IDE chip is seen by the normal PIIX driver.

Linux 2.4.20-ac1 sees the PIIX chip, but not the disks connected to
it. This of course results in a kernel panic "unable to mount root
fs". Same thing happens with 2.4.20-ac2. Vanilla 2.4.20 works fine. Of
course, all kernels have been built with the same configuration.

2.4.20 is fine for this notebook, so this issue has no urgency for me
in any way. I just wanted to point out potential problems to the
people capable of investigating. I'll happily provide any information
that might be required.

Cheers
Marc
Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Karlsruhe, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29
Alan Cox
2003-02-22 20:42:31 UTC
Post by Marc Haber
Linux 2.4.20-ac1 sees the PIIX chip, but not the disks connected to
it. This of course results in a kernel panic "unable to mount root
fs". Same thing happens with 2.4.20-ac2. Vanilla 2.4.20 works fine. Of
course, all kernels have been built with the same configuration.
I'd like to know if 2.4.21pre4-ac6 sees the disks. You don't even need
to run it beyond the boot, just to check this is the legacy port
problem.
Marc Haber
2003-02-22 20:34:44 UTC
Post by Alan Cox
Post by Marc Haber
Linux 2.4.20-ac1 sees the PIIX chip, but not the disks connected to
it. This of course results in a kernel panic "unable to mount root
fs". Same thing happens with 2.4.20-ac2. Vanilla 2.4.20 works fine. Of
course, all kernels have been built with the same configuration.
I'd like to know if 2.4.21pre4-ac6 sees the disks. You don't even need
to run it beyond the boot, just to check this is the legacy port
problem.
It will be monday before I get near the machine, but I will do it then.

Greetings
Marc Haber
2003-02-22 20:54:39 UTC
Post by Alan Cox
I'd like to know if 2.4.21pre4-ac6 sees the disks.
ftp.kernel.org doesn't have pre4-ac6, only pre4-ac5. Is the patch
already released?

Alan Cox
2003-02-22 22:20:06 UTC
Not yet, its nearly done though
Meino Christian Cramer
2003-02-23 04:34:48 UTC
Hi,

I have some strange problems here:
My kernel is prompting me with teh following message:

Feb 23 04:56:19 solfire kernel: PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A
of device 01:00.0.

The according device seems to be:
(cat /proc/pci...)

Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 7500 QW (rev 0).
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=8.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe7ffffff].
I/O at 0xa000 [0xa0ff].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xed000000 [0xed00ffff].

And something, which seems to be of the same kind is a report from
my XFree86 4.2.99.3-Server:

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] failure adding irq handler, there is a device
already using that irq
[drm] falling back to irq-free operation

What is going on here ? I checked the BIOS of my motherboard but
found nothing suspicious.

My system:
Radeon 7500 64 MB DDR (Sapphire) on AGP
Epox 8K5A3+ (VIA KT333)
Atlon 2400+
256 MB DDR RAM

Any help VERY appreciated, since my XFree will not work in
DRM-mode. Everything is slow motion....

Thank you very much in advance !
Keep hacking!
Meino
Marc Haber
2003-02-24 13:30:59 UTC
Post by Alan Cox
Post by Marc Haber
Linux 2.4.20-ac1 sees the PIIX chip, but not the disks connected to
it. This of course results in a kernel panic "unable to mount root
fs". Same thing happens with 2.4.20-ac2. Vanilla 2.4.20 works fine. Of
course, all kernels have been built with the same configuration.
I'd like to know if 2.4.21pre4-ac6 sees the disks. You don't even need
to run it beyond the boot, just to check this is the legacy port
problem.
It probably is, since 2.4.21pre4-ac6 sees the disks. Thanks for your
help.

Since we run 2.4.20ac1 on a bunch of production boxes (needing promise
20277 support), is the bug you are talking about a problem that should
make us upgrade before 2.4.21 release?

Alan Cox
2003-02-24 15:00:20 UTC
Post by Marc Haber
Since we run 2.4.20ac1 on a bunch of production boxes (needing promise
20277 support), is the bug you are talking about a problem that should
make us upgrade before 2.4.21 release?
Not really. In certain cases 2.4.20-ac1 could forget to check if a controller
have drives, thats all